They say that nothing brings people together better than good food. Good food is all the sweeter when shared with good friends. It’s even better if you’re basking in the beauty of the outdoors with your loved ones while devouring a nicely prepared meal. While on a camping trip, you don’t have to sacrifice your meal time. After all, it is a great way to recharge and refuel while you’ve been active for most of the day.
The usual food prepared during a weekend outdoors are barbeque, burgers, and anything that may be considered by many as dry. Sometimes, on a chilly night, you want to keep warm with a nice hot stew but can’t because it’s not really camp-friendly. Who says that you can’t indulge on savory dishes while on the go? Whatever your tastebuds are craving for any time of the day, you won’t run out of options.
Here are 7 great dishes to cook on a camping stove...
1. Crockpot Vegetable Soup
This classic is a traditional outdoor meal enjoyed by many campers. You may be overwhelmed by the amount of ingredients in this particular recipe. But you don’t need to worry as this meal is a one-pot meal. It means you won’t have to switch between pans and casseroles. Everything can be thrown into just one pot for convenience and fast cooking.
Cooking Time: 1 hour to 1 hour and 30 minutes
Here is a list of all the ingredients you will need.
- 4 cups chicken broth or any vegetable broth (as vegan option)
- 5 cups of butternut squash, sliced and diced
- 1 cup cauliflower
- ¼ tsp black pepper, ground
- 5 tsp of basil, dried
- 1 medium red bell pepper, sliced
- ½ cup tomato sauce
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 tsp. Olive oil
- 1 tsp. Cumin
- 6 ounces of spinach, chopped *this should be thrown in the pot when the fire is low
The great thing about this recipe is that you can basically throw everything in until all the vegetables soften up. You can modify the recipe any way you want. If you’re feeling like having meat in the soup, you may throw in some meatballs or any cubed meat in the pot. This is perfect for a very chilly night or just to keep everyone cozy and warm. It’s very ideal for vegetarians or anyone who prefers a healthy yet filling meal during trips.
2. Beef Stew
Tired of always chugging down dry and dull dishes during your outdoor excursions? No need to worry. This delicious beef stew will bring life and juice to your outdoor trips. It will be your comfort food during the cold nights and will fill you up if ever you decide to have it for lunch. It’s also perfect if you’re feeding a group of people.
Cooking Time: 2-3 hours
- 2 lbs beef, chunks
- 2 cups beef broth
- 2 tbsp. Olive oil
- 1 cup green peas
- 1 cup tomato sauce or ½ cup tomato paste
- 3 cloves of garlic, crushed and peeled
- 2 large tomatoes, chopped
- 3 medium potateos, cubed
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 medium red bell pepper
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 bay leaf
- Heat the oil on a heavy stainless steel cookware until it’s hot.
- Saute onions, garlic and tomatoes for 5 minutes.
- Put in the beef, until all sides are smeared in oil and become brown.
- Add the potateos, bay leaf, and carrots; followed by the beef broth and tomato sauce/paste. Stir and cover. Set the fire on low until the beef is tender.
- Once the beef is tender, add in the red bell pepper and green peas. Gently stir so that the beef and vegetables remain intact.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
This recipe will take time to prepare. It’s ideal if you want to spend time together and bond while cooking and preparing the food. Start cooking this stew two to three hours before you plan on eating.
3. Spaghetti with Chilli & Meatballs
Nothing’s better than a real Italian treat for dinner. You don’t need to have fancy ingredients to achieve the taste. With this recipe, you can enjoy this delectable entree without much preparation. This homemade spaghetti recipe is perfect if you have children with you outdoors.
Cooking Time: 1.5 hours to 2 hours
- 1 jar of spaghetti sauce
- 4-5 cups of water or broth
- 20 oz frozen meatballs
- 1 lb of spaghetti noodles
- 1 tbsp. Garlic, minced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 3 tbsp. Chilli flakes
NOTE: Coat spaghetti noodles in olive oil before you store them. You may break them in half for easy storage.
- Pour in the spaghetti sauce in the pot and add 4-5 cups of water (You may also use vegetable or beef broth to make the dish more flavorful). Do this in low heat.
- Add the olive oil, garlic, chilli flakes and seasonings.
- Add in the noodles. Next to go in the pot are the frozen meatballs. Cover the pot and let it simmer.
- Cook everything in low heat to make sure everything is cooked thoroughly. This will take roughly 1.5 hours to cook.
You can bring your dining experience to the next level by creating your own meatballs at home and freezing them so they can be stored. You can also make your own spaghetti sauce with fresh tomatoes. Adding in Italian seasonings will give an extra kick to this delicious dish.
4. Hot S’mores Drink
Who says you can’t have a perfect handcrafted beverage while outdoors? No one goes to a campfire without making the classic dessert, S’mores. It’s basically a sandwich with toasted marshmallow and chocolate in between two Graham crackers. This drink recipe attempts to bring about the nostalgia and coziness of a S’mores snacks in a cup. It’s perfect for a chilly weekend or whenever you just want to relax and lay back enjoying your family and friends’ company.
Preperation Time: 10-15 minutes
- 5 cups milk (it can be skimmed, low-fat, or full; depending on your preference)
- ⅓ cup granulated sugar, brown
- 5 oz. dark or unsweetened chocolate chips
- ½ cup crushed Graham crackers
- Marshmallows, assorted sizes (small and large)
- Chocolate syrup
- Under low heat, pour milk and sugar in the pot. Stir continuously. Allow to simmer for 10 minutes.
- While allowing the milk and sugar to heat up, coat the rims of drinking glasses with honey and graham crackers.
- Add small marshmallows into the pot. If you want a strong S’mores taste, you can add another ⅓ cup of crushed Graham crackers into the drink.
- Drizzle the hot drink with chocolate syrup, as desired.
- Lightly toast the large marshmallows and place them on top of your drink.
5. Stir-fried Seafood Platter
You’re enjoying the view of the mountains at day time or just strolling around the woods at night but your stomach is craving for seafood? Don’t fret. You can enjoy a nice and fresh platter of seafood anywhere you are. This Asian-inspired meal will transport your tastebuds. It’s very easy to prepare but still remains savory and filling. Perfect for a lunch meal.
Preparation Time: 30 minutes
- 250 g white fish fillet, bite-size
- 250 g uncooked prawns
- 6 pcs mussels
- 100 g squid
- 2 gloves garlic, crushed
- 2 tbsp. Oyster sauce
- 2 tbsp. Fish sauce
- 2 medium red bell peppers, sliced
- 5 medium green onions
- 1 red chilli
- Shell and devein the prawns before freezing for storage. Chop the fish fillet into bite-size pieces. Wash the squid, cut them in little squares before freezing. Mussels can be stored in the freezer as well for storage.
- Heat garlic, fish and oyster sauces in oil.
- Add in the seafood and stir-fry until everything becomes tender. Discard the mussels that do not open after cooking.
- Add the chilli, bell peppers and green onions. Continue to fry and stir until everything is completely incorporated.
The good thing about this recipe is that there is no need to bring in little condiments such as salt, pepper and other seasonings because the oyster and fish sauce are sufficient to bring out the flavor in the seafood. If you’re feeling like preparing something more healthy, you can always add in any vegetable of your choice. Just stir them in!
Chilaquiles is a traditional Mexican dish that’s perfect for snacking on a camping trip. It’s very quick and easy to prepare. It’s a dish anyone will surely enjoy.
Preparation Time: 10-15 minutes
- 10 corn tortilla chips
- 2 tbsp. Olive oil
- 1 tsp. Salt
- ½ red onion, diced
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1 chopped jalapeño
- 3 medium eggs
Corn tortillas are usually baked in the oven to make them crispy. You may also achieve this by toasting the chips on a hot pan with some oil. If you’re in a hurry, you can also buy it pre-made.
- Over low heat, add red onions and garlic. Saute for 1 minute.
- Add the tomato sauce, jalapeño, salt and water to the pot. Allow to simmer. Stir in the fried tortillas.
- Set the chips aside and cook the eggs to your liking.
- Pour in the sauce. Add in the chips last.
Enjoy this delectable dish any time of the day. You can also modify this recipe by adding in cheese and more jalapeños to create a hot and cheesy dish.
7. Cheesy Breakfast Overload
You don’t have to break your fast by munching on dull sandwiches if you’re far from your home kitchen. Anywhere you are, you can easily prepare this Eggs and Bacon Hash overload. This filling dish can also be enjoyed during any meal of the day. If you’re set on only preparing meals using under five ingredients, this recipe is perfect!
Cooking Time: 30 minutes
The basic ingredients of this skillet meal are hash browns, eggs, bacon and lots of cheese. But we’ll list all the ingredients below for easier preparation.
- Hash browns, shredded, thawed but cold (you may also pre-make your own hash brown at home for a healthier and more natural option)
- 200 g of honeycured bacon, cut into shreds (you may trim the fat or not)
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup canola oil
- Mozarella cheese, shredded
- Cheddar cheese, shredded
- Start by heating the oil under medium heat. Once hot, deep fry the hash browns.
- Add in the bacon. Fry the bacon in oil until crispy.
- Put in the cheeses last and toss them to make sure to spread them all over the pot.
- Beat the 3 large eggs together, you may season if you want. Pour the mixture all over the pot. Pat everything down.
- Cook in low heat until everything is ready to serve.
This is perfect for all cheese lovers out there. We didn’t put in specific measurements for the cheese in this recipe. You get to decide how cheesy you want it to be! If you’re feeling it, you may add other cheeses in the dish as well. It’s perfect for breakfasts. It will surely fuel you throughout the day for your adventurous trips.
In your camping trips, it’s important to always pack good and filling food. This may seem difficult as there’s not much dishes you can prepare outdoors. Finding a sturdy cookware that’s easy to carry around is also not easy. We highly recommend this backpacking cook set from Barbeqa. This cook set is composed of a stainless steel kettle pot and two insulated bowls. The insulation makes it easier for you to enjoy any hot meal without worrying about burning yourself.
All parts of the set are made of stainless steel 304 which ensures durability. The exterior coating of the cookware ensures protetion from corrosion so you know that food quality won’t be compromised.
It’s also absolutely BPA free so you know that your health won’t suffer and will not be burden to the environment.
Easy to Clean
Because the cook set is designed for outdoor travel and use, it is very easy to clean. It’s dishwasher safe and heat-resistant.
Easy to Carry
The set is very lightweight and easy to carry, making it a best suit for your camping meal needs. No need to carry around heavy stone or metal pots.
Because the cook set comes in a kettle form, you won’t need to worry about spills if ever you decide to cook soups and stews. You also won’t be limited to just preparing dishes. You can use it to prepare coffee, tea and other beverages, and serve them conveniently.
It has 1.2 L capacity so you’re sure that you can prepare food and drinks for a large group of people.
Nothing is better than enjoying the company of family and friends while enjoying great and delicious food. That’s why we provide you with plenty of recipes to choose from. We also made the ingredients simple and the instructions short and direct. Food is one of the things that will bring your camping experience to the next level, so it’s important to make sure to relish in good meals while outdoors.